Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Cinema of Responsibilities


Oh what immaculate, complicated, not-quite-clean-fun Inglourious Basterds is. Whatever issues you might have with Tarantino's ego or his purported film-geek immaturity (more on that in a second), this thing fucking sings. Playing with material that's both enormously complicated and already wrung-dry-for-Oscars, Tarantino turns the movie into nothing but a show of what movies can do: plotting roundabouts, violence, monologues, title cards. The film is about nothing but movies, really, about how fucking lovely characters entering a frame are, about the delight of tension, about an audience's need for tension, about montage, about slow fades to re-establish the same figure from a slightly different angle; about bullets to the face, about preposterous not-in-real-life borrowing from history; about digressions for the sake of introducing characters, about super-imposition, about voiceover, about in-jokes, about misguided love; about slow-motion, about action that's cut too quick for the eye. To paraphrase Scorsese on Sam Fuller, if you don't like this, you probably don't, in some fundamental way, like cinema.

There's two dozen things I love about this film, and about about half a dozen that don't sit well at all with me. Yep, some of the violence is tough-going, brutal and unnecessary. I'm tempted to say "that's the point", but that's glib and obvious. But it's kinda the point anyway. Plus Eli Roth isn't improving as actor. I'll think of the other four later.

But back to the pros, from which let me select one thing to praise: Quentin knows how to write long multi-character dialogue scenes. The scene in the underground tavern should be shown in film classes from tomorrow to eternity - its slow-build premise, its secondary support/relief characters, its promise of release, its withheld knowledge. I wanted to applaud by the end of it. Oh, and by the way, next time you hear some hack talk about Tarantino's admittedly violent films as raw meat for the baying idiot filmgoing hounds, show them this scene, then make them sit through the entire film. Twice. If Quentin really wanted to sell out and make uberviolence for the multiplex, would the film really be loaded up with such endless talk? At points in the film, the would-be showdown and resolve is ruthlessly sidetracked for yet more digression. It's cruel, but brilliantly done. And it's not easy-going either. This is "sell-out" the way that Miles going electric was supposedly selling-out. It's an easy talking point to spout until you're faced with something as unyielding as Live-Evil or as vapourous as "He Loved Him Madly". At that point, silence reigns.

One more point: I'm now officially sick to death of critics (and myself, for I've done it too, and recently as well) using "the film is only about film" line of criticism. These critics apparently quake and thirst and practically fucking shake and shudder for "real life", which is why, of course, their love involves being alone in the dark. Film critics (and I'd know people) practically gave up real life long ago, and carry a guilty conscience on this one. It's guilt which makes them moralise about other people's (other artists) duty to serve some utterly dubious notion of "the real" instead of paying homage to Tarantino's mirror-show as they should be. On your knees! Praise art, or damn art, but loudly!

They want real life? Plenty out there guys. And plenty of other films too. Not all work serves a purpose beyond its own existence and assertion, and if it's art for art's sake we're coming to, so fucking be it. The film geeks and critics alone know how powerful work like this is, about its absence of morality, its power of influence. "Real life" is the watering down of sensibility. And people who get paid to sit in the dark shouldn't be telling honest working people ("real life", tee-hee) how to appraise works of semi-genius like Inglourious Basterds. Write it up honestly, or feed the homeless. Or make your own work, you fuckers.

7 comments:

  1. Terrific review S & D (although I suspect this may have been more D than S?). "F@#!" and all its variations are altogether too absent from film reveiws these days. I applaud you for bringing it/them back.
    Your review makes me actually want to sit through 2 1/2 hours of Tarantino (not something I've been willing to do post-Pulp Fiction). Not so much for the quality filmmaking as fear of experiencing the wrath of David if I don't. I promise I will watch it if it's on the plane.

    x k

    PS. Did I just take your blog "Comments" box cherry?? Ooh er.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should try and limit the swearing, but I wrote this in 15 minutes after a late-night. Very excitable. Very prone to exaggeration. Though I wouldn't take a word of it back - if anything, it's grown in my estimation since Sunday night, though I acknowledge it's not for everyone. And yes, that includes Susan...this one's all me.

    But seeing it on the plane is unthinkable, as is the case with all great movies. You need a cinema for this one. You need to move at the film's pace.

    And no, while I'd love to say you took "my flower", scrolling down will reveal a small but elite group of commenters got there first.

    Hope you're digging Noo Yawk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um - I meant "late-night viewing of the film" in that first sentence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concur regarding seeing this one in a cinema; the film certainly makes good use of the big screen. Also agree that the qualities of Inglourious Basterds grow clearer on reflection.

    I do have a few reservations about the violence, not that I am opposed to cinema violence per se but (with the possible exception of the first outburst of gunfire) I don't feel that Tarantino achieved the desired effect. For me the violence was cringe rather than dread inducing.

    And that brings me to my principal disappointment with the film. While the individual scenes are brilliant - the opening and the basement standoff being two truly awesome scenes; each worth more that the price of admission, the film does not completely cohere. It needed a powerful sense of dread stalking the characters through the scenes and - for me at least - it did not have that.

    There was a lot to love: The dialogue; The ever tightening tension of individual scenes; The intense, naive love of cinema and Waltz's Jew Hunter.

    Regards,

    John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... so, is that it? no more blogging? not even a footy wrap? Comment on The Fev?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wha' happen??

    Come back ICM. Your blogging public needs you...

    x K

    ReplyDelete